Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

Global Gamejam 2013 - Spirit Rush

 Early this year I took part in the 'Global Gamejam'. Across the globe teams of people have to design and produce some sort of game within fourty eight hours around a theme that is picked at the start of the event. This year the theme was a beating heart.
 Originally my group wanted to make a Flash side scrolling game were the player would stop creatures with bad hearts by beating the evil out of them. This would cause the creature to be a friendly NPC with a good heart. Once all the characters had been saved you be able to proceed to the next level.
 Unfortunately I was the only person on our team with any coding knowledge within actionscript. This meant a lot of our original ideas had to be scrapped due to me not being able to implement them in time.
 In the end the game was still a sidescroller but it became a platformer in which the player had to collect a key to open the door at the end of the level.

   'the team'

For the game I wrote all the code and also produced the soundtrack. Everybody else's job was to produce the art assets for the game which I then implemented towards the end of production. At first things didn't run smoothly at all as I had a tough time figuring out what I could actual code. This meant a lot of the assets I had asked for didn't get used. However once we all agreed on simpler game mechanics we managed to work a lot quicker. Amazingly enough we finished producing the game within the time limit and it turned out to be quite fun (but probably too difficult). If I get the chance I'll definitely take part in Gamejam again.

The game can be played here on my website roboface.co.uk 






    

No comments: