Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Autodesk Maya Tutorials


Recently I've started taking tutorials in Autodesk Maya as part of my University course. So far we have covered the basics of modelling. This includes using NURBS and being aware of sub divisions. I'm now capable of using tools such as the cv curve tool (creates a path which can be used as track for a model to animate on or allows a model to take shape of) and the sub div proxy tool (tessellates and creates a second smooth copy of the model, also allows model mirroring but this can be done independently). I have also learnt how to texture models in Maya. I can now either just use Maya's in house 3D paint tool (fairly basic brush tool but can also so be used for painting 3D objects such as hair) or I can use UV texture maps which allow me to import textures over from programs like Photoshop.

  
We briefly covered the basics on keyed animation in Maya which works very similarly to the keying system from one of Autodesks other packages; 3DS Max, which I've been using for a while now. The above screenshot shows a demonstration of my work being animated. The hair on the ball character is automatically animated with simple physics when the character moves. This saves a lot of time when it comes to animating, as I don't have to worry so much about the hair if I make a mistake or have to go back and correct something.



 

No comments: